Car accidents happen every day on central Florida's busy roadways—and they can be physically, emotionally, and financially devastating for victims. If you were in an accident you didn't cause, you might have sustained serious injuries and property damage, suffered lost wages during the weeks or months you couldn't work, and incurred medical bills you can't pay—all because of another person’s or company's negligence.
Fortunately, you don't have to get stuck dealing with the financial consequences of an auto accident that wasn't your fault. At Louis Berk Law, our knowledgeable, experienced, and compassionate personal injury attorney can help you recover compensation for your accident-related losses. Here's what you need to know.
Florida Car Accident Case Basics
If you’re like many people, you don't know the first thing about Florida car accident cases. Here are some key points to keep in mind if you're planning to pursue compensation.
- Florida is a no-fault state, which means you'll file a claim against your own auto insurance policy—rather than the at-fault party's—to recover damages for medical bills and other financial losses.
- Florida law only allows car accident victims to sue the person who caused the accident if they suffered a permanent injury, significant and permanent scarring or disfigurement, significant and permanent loss of a bodily function, or the death of a loved one. Filing a personal injury lawsuit provides access to a wider range of potential damages.
- You may be entitled to a financial recovery, even if you were partially responsible for the accident and your injuries. Florida follows comparative negligence rules, so while it's possible to collect compensation, the amount you receive may be reduced to reflect your degree of fault.
- You need an attorney. The car accident recovery process is complex, and many things can go wrong. An experienced attorney can help you navigate the civil court system and ensure that you're treated—and compensated—fairly.
- You can afford to hire a car accident attorney to handle your case. Accident and injury attorneys work on contingency, which means you can hire a lawyer to represent you with no upfront fees. Rather than billing you by the hour, we take an agreed-upon percentage of your settlement or financial award. If we don't win, you don't pay.
- You only have four years to file a car accident insurance claim or lawsuit and two years for a wrongful death case before you lose the right to take legal action. However, it's wise to start the wheels of justice moving much sooner to avoid the loss of valuable evidence.
Protecting Your Right to Recovery
What you do after a car accident can affect the viability of any personal injury claim or lawsuit you decide to file in the future. Here's what you can do to protect yourself after a accident:
- Contact the police to report the accident and request medical assistance, if necessary
- Take photos of the accident site, making sure to note visible injuries and property damages, relevant road or weather conditions, and the positioning of the involved vehicles
- Seek medical attention right away and follow the treatment plan as prescribed
- Keep a journal describing your car accident injuries and the effects they have on your daily life
- Notify your insurance company of the accident and file a claim
- Consult an attorney before you release your medical records or give a statement to an insurance company
Helping You Build a Strong Case for Damages
There's a lot riding on your Florida car accident case, and with so much at stake, you can't afford to go it alone. Let our dedicated legal team’s knowledge and skills work for you. We will:
- Investigate your accident
- Help you understand your rights and options
- Gather and preserve essential evidence
- Interview eyewitnesses
- Handle communications between you and the insurance companies
- Work with your doctors and other providers to ensure your injuries and losses are well documented
- Negotiate and evaluate settlement offers
- Take your case to trial when it's in your best interest
- And much, much more
Take Advantage of a Complimentary, Risk-Free Consultation
Contact us today, and we'll be in touch soon to schedule an appointment to discuss your car accident injury case.