Truck and car accidents are brutal and overwhelming. There is chaos on the road; some are injured, and sometimes victims can also face death. Some injured people may require immediate medical attention. One of the most important roles in a road-related accident is being a witness. They are like the critical piece in a puzzle that solves all the problems.
Witnesses are people who were at the scene and had observed what had happened. This can include people who were in other cars or pedestrians who were not directly involved in the accident. Witnesses play a crucial role in car and truck accidents and provide crucial information that could change the course of the case. Their observations can be the difference between the victims receiving the compensation they deserve and facing an uphill battle against insurance companies.
How Can Witnesses Help In Case Of An Accident?
Witnesses are one of the best help a victim can get after the accident. They can help the car accident or truck accident attorney in Orlando form your case and provide compensation from the insurance companies. Given below are the information a witness can give you:
Scene Of The Accident
● Location: Witnesses can provide the exact location of the accident, including street names, crosswalks, and landmarks. This information is vital for police reports and accident reconstruction.
● Time & Day of the Collision: This detail is crucial for the reconstruction of the accident. The weather and other details play an important role in an accident. Was it raining? Bright sunshine? Knowing the conditions at the time of the accident can help determine contributing factors.
● Vehicles Involved: The make, model, and color of the vehicles involved, along with any visible damage, are crucial evidence.
The Collision Itself
● Sequence of the Event: Witnesses can describe what they saw in the lead-up to and during the collision. They can give minor details like traffic flow, lane changes, and any erratic behavior.
● Vehicle Movement: Did one car swerve? Did the truck run a red light? Witnesses note the direction and speed of the vehicles, which can be crucial in determining fault.
● Impact & Damage: Witnesses can tell the point of impact and the extent of the damage they observed on both vehicles.
● Number of People Involved: How many people were in each car? Were there any pedestrians or cyclists? These are the details that can save the lives of the people involved in the accident.
● Injuries: Witnesses often note the injuries sustained by those who were involved in the accident without interfering with medical assistance.
● Driver Behavior: Did the drivers appear dazed, disoriented, or under the influence of drugs or alcohol? Any observations about their behavior can be helpful.
● License Plates: The witnesses can try to note down the license plate numbers of the vehicles involved.
● Photos or Videos: If it is safe and legal, witnesses can take pictures or videos of the accident scene and damage. This can be valuable evidence.
● Contact Information: Witnesses can provide their contact information to the police and be willing to give a formal statement later if needed by the Orlando car accident attorney.
Causes Of Car & Truck Accidents
This is one of the most common causes of auto accidents. Failure to follow the speed limit is a major mistake and increases the risk of accidents. Drivers who travel at high speeds have difficulty controlling the vehicle. They have less time to react to changing road conditions and are more likely to lose control of their vehicle.
Most drivers feel comfortable multi-tasking while driving. However, it is better to avoid such actions. “Texting and driving” is one of the most common actions that drivers perform, and it is also the one that causes most accidents. Attempting to eat or drink, using a GPS device, or simply talking to other passengers is a distraction for the driver from the road and can cause an accident.
Miserable weather conditions can affect the visibility of the driver and make them lose control of the vehicle. Driving at night or in bad weather increases the chances of accidents occurring, and it is best to avoid them. It is worth avoiding driving in such conditions. If someone has got into an accident in adverse weather, they could end up being liable for any damage that occurs.
It is no surprise that drunk driving is one of the major causes of vehicular accidents in Orlando. Driving under the influence slows down the body’s reaction time. The driver becomes unable to take preventive measures to avoid accidents. Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol can even get the driver arrested for a designated period.
Driving when you are fatigued or sleepy can have similar effects to driving while intoxicated. The drivers tend to react slowly to unexpected situations and fail to operate the vehicle correctly. Drowsy driving can lead to huge accidents, so it is best to avoid it at all costs.
Poor Road Conditions
The stress from the continuous movement of vehicles causes damage to the road, which can lead to minor or major accidents. Some of these accidents are weather-related, such as heavy rain, tornados, snow, and ice. Drivers should check road conditions in advance to see if bad weather has been forecasted and drive to the conditions.
The Bottom Line
Witnessing an accident is a traumatic experience. As much as the tiny details are important, so is the mental health of the observers. They should talk to a counselor or a therapist to help them process the event and cope with any emotional distress. The role of a witness should never be downplayed. At Louis Berk Law, the statement of a witness is of utmost importance. No little detail is insignificant. The actions of a witness can make a real difference in someone’s life. Together, you can help make Orlando’s roads safer.