If your accident occurred on someone else’s property, you might have grounds for a premises liability case. Property owners and managers are required to take reasonable precautions to ensure the safety of tenants, visitors, patrons, and anyone else who is on the premises lawfully. If they failed to do so, and you were hurt as a result, you may be entitled to a financial recovery.
At Louis Berk Law, our knowledgeable and highly skilled Orlando personal injury attorney helps victims of negligence explore their legal rights and options and recover the compensation they need and deserve after a premises liability accident. We have a long track record of successfully resolved cases—and yours could be next. Keep reading to learn more.
Florida Premises Liability Case Basics
Not familiar with the ins and outs of Florida premises liability law? Here are a few key points to keep in mind if you are considering taking legal action to seek compensation:
- What you have to prove. A fair recovery hinges on being able to show that the at-fault party owed you a duty of care, they breached that duty, and you suffered damages as a direct result. We can help you prove these essential case elements.
- Comparative negligence. Being partially responsible for the accident in which you were injured (for example, tripping over an unmarked hazard while distracted) doesn’t automatically bar you from collecting compensation. However, your recovery may be reduced accordingly.
- Statute of limitations. Florida gives you four years from the date of the accident to file a claim. If you miss this deadline, any case you try to file will be dismissed. Take action as soon as possible to ensure the preservation of vital evidence.
- Cost to hire an attorney. We work on contingency, which means that there are never any upfront fees, and if we don’t win, you don’t pay.
Premises Liability Cases We Handle
Though slip and falls are the most well-known type of premises liability case, there is a wide range of accidents that can occur on property owned or managed by someone else. We handle premises liability cases involving:
- Slips and falls. A substance on a floor caused you to slip, fall, and sustain injuries.
- Trips and falls. A construction or maintenance defect or unmarked hazards in a walkway caused you to trip and suffer injuries.
- Retail store negligence. You were injured due to falling objects, collapsing displays, or other unmarked, negligence-related hazards.
- Negligent security. You were injured in an assault or attack at a facility that provides security.
- Daycare negligence. Your child was injured at a daycare facility due to inadequate supervision.
- Dog bites. You or your child was bitten and injured by a dog you don’t own.
What You Could Recover
Don’t get stuck holding the bag for injuries and losses you didn’t cause. We can help you recover compensation for related medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, lost earning potential, physical pain and suffering, psychological trauma, scarring or disfigurement, and other damages.
How We Can Help
There’s far too much at stake to go it alone. Let us:
- Investigate your accident
- Gather and preserve important evidence
- Work with your medical providers to document your injuries and delay payment for treatment
- Handle communications between you and the at-fault party’s insurance company or defense attorney
- Interview eyewitnesses
- Arrange for expert witnesses to testify on your behalf when needed
- Negotiate and review settlement offers
- Take your case to trial, if necessary
- Maximize the value of your claim
Discuss Your Florida Premises Liability Case With an Experienced Orlando Attorney
Contact Louis Berk Law today to schedule an appointment for a free initial consultation. We look forward to learning about you and your case and discussing how we can best assist you.